Studying in England: your new how-to guide

Congratulations! You’ve decided you want to study abroad in England. And now you are wondering: How do I go about that? Well, you’ve come to the right place. The first step is deciding where in England, after all, there are over 100 schools all around the country. Narrowing it down might be helpful. Knowing where you’d like to go will also give you an idea of the financial aspect: tuition costs, accommodation, and living expenses.

The second step, is to go to the University and Colleges Admissions Service website (UCAS), depending on the university you might have to apply this website. This is particularly true for publicly-funded schools.

Now, for the fun part: visas. Unless you are a citizen of Switzerland or the EEA, you will need a Tier 4 Visa to study in the UK for over than 6 months. The application process is explained on the UK Government’s website, but as a general summary you will need to gather the following documents: an offer from a Tier 4 sponsor university, proof of English proficiency (IELTS is the preferred test), valid passport or other travel document, and proof of financial support. Once you’ve gathered all these pre-requisites, you can start your online visa application via the UK Government’s website.

Other things to keep in mind: finding accommodation – depending on where you’re going to study – can take some time, so plan ahead. If you’re planning on working for a bit of extra cash, you should be very much aware of the limitations there exist for international students, so as to not overstep, you can read more about this topic at the UK Council for International Student Affairs website.